(With apologies to Star Trek …)
I wanted to advance some of the basic tools which were first created more than a year back (starting with the Unit Contact Analysis tool), which used more basic data collection techniques, and were limited to processing only one file of data at a time. In order to do that, however, I needed to ensure that I had thorough documentation of the first-generation designs.
So, to start that process, I enlisted the very handy (and free) “PP Utilities” which really helped in three major areas:
- It provided me a list of the DAX Measures in my PowerPivot table
- It provided me a list of the calculated columns that I had added to my PowerPivot table
- It provided me the memory usage of the model I had designed – a huge bonus.
So, I was able to use this on my first-generation PowerPivot tool to get all the details, then I went through at added “documentation” into the Notes field which it provided on the tab they created, and start documenting the interconnections between the various calculated columns and the DAX measures. That made re-creating them much easier.
So, then, I went and added in my Power Query M scripts to handle the process of looking for an merging together multiple data files. Fortunately, this was already written as part of my “Merge Tools” so that was not an issue.
Now came the interesting part – breaking the old data connections, and getting the new Power Query scripts as the proper way to add data to the PowerPivot data model. I found myself needing to “re-create” some of the PowerPivot tables, so I walked through that process, tab by tab. Then I needed to ensure that I completed the proper conditional formatting which I had done in the first-gen model. Conditional formatting in Excel can be both powerful and painful, all at the same time, and remember how to apply conditional formatting in a pivot table so that it expands and contracts with the changes in the data, just makes life all that much more interesting. Total time involved – 6 hours. The new beta tool can process, complete the analysis, and display the data for seven scout councils in about 19 seconds.
So, the latest beta release is out for review by the team, once I hear back, it will be finalized. Then I’ll need to update the overall documentation, the sample reports, and put those DAX Measures and Calculated Columns to good use and save them with the Power Query M scripts, so that all this new work is documented.
Then, once all that is done, we can look at releasing the first of The Next Generation PowerPivot tables.